Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Suit Making, Book Writing, and a Dash of Halloween

At this very moment, I'm trying my darndest to come up with a very clever opening line, only to be assaulted from the other part of my brain--reminding me that I don't know how many minutes I have before Baby wakes up and so I should just get on with it!  

And, actually, that just about sums up life these days.  Not in a "Three kids is zone defense now," or "Say goodbye free-time, and hello to an exorbitantly large pile of baby laundry.  And kid laundry.  And husband laundry.  And my laundry (Which, by the way, always seems to be the smallest pile of all of them.  I'm  sensing there's something more to that.)" kind of way.  But there are lots of plates to keep spinning.  And I know that you know this even better than I do. Trust me, there is no preaching going on here!  

I decided to blog today because 1) I have time, albeit undetermined in its amount 2) I need a creative outlet that doesn't take as long as sewing the baby doll that I need to for family photos this weekend and 3) I kind of thought I owed it to you all.  I mean it.  I am not being trite when I say that I am incredibly humbled when one of you writes or calls to tell me that you miss my designs and are looking forward to what's next.  This is kind of how it goes: 

You:  "Hey Andrea!  I really love what you do!  Baby Emma looked beautiful in our family pictures!  Please keep me updated on when you have another collection!" 
Me (inside my brain):  "Did she really just take time to let me know that?  People have noticed my sabattical?!  Well, that just puts a gold star on my heart!"

So I really can't sum up what I've been doing during the sabattical too well in a blog post, but it's actually been a lot more than just adding baby #3.  Not the least of which was breaking my right ankle 3 weeks before Eva was born.  Yep, surgery--6 screws and a plate--while pregnant =equals= cannot be "put under" all the way.  It also means no driving for several weeks.  Okay, I'm stopping now because there are so many things that made that a life-changing event for me and I could go on forever.  But suffice it to say that my marriage was strengthened, my faith was strengthened, and I appreciate not being terrified of the two steps it takes to get into my front door anymore.

I haven't quit designing; I've been doing it in a different way.  While on maternity leave, I've taken to doing custom work for clients again. I can do it on my own schedule, and everything I do is different.  That's incredibly satisfying.  I've also had time to sew for my own daughters again.  This is an instagram of Sabrina in her new jacket repurposed from daddy's old suit, paired with her Hello Kitty dress I made her for her birthday back in April.  She donned the pink boots and jeggings, and I think it works!


I had not considered how I'd get this bad boy cleaned when I decided to make it from Jeff's old suit.  Hello dry-cleaning :/
I'm also thinking more about the craft book I want to write.  By the way, if you have any tips on how to go about doing that, please let me know!  I'd be happy to trade free sewing lessons ;) !!  I'm also going on field trips and playing with my baby and cooking so that we can sit around our own dinner table more.  *Sigh* It actually hasn't been anything but awesome.  Not always easy.  Definitely not.  But always appreciated and savored.


Today's happiness:
Because it's Halloween, I'd be remiss if I didn't post at least one pic of Eva in costume :)
Yes!  True vintage saddle shoes in baby size!  *swoon*



No comments: