Friday, October 15, 2010

Handkerchiefs catch both sad and happy tears

I made a handkerchief today for a friend that just suffered a great loss.  It's not the first time I've done this--crafted something with my hands for someone else in need.  It's as though I automatically shift into crafter mode when I hear of someone's heartache.  I think it's an extension of my desire to show that the recipient is cared for beyond a mere "I'm sorry" or "I'm thinking of you."  But sometimes it's simply because I just don't know what else to do.

I was stressing a little while I was stitching the cluny lace onto the edge of the charcoal gray, pin dot hanky.  Not because it wasn't turning out right, but because I had so much other work to do.  And then I was reminded of the saying that when it's our time to go, we won't regret not spending more hours working, but not spending more hours with the ones we love.

And with that, I am sorry, J, for your loss.  Thinking of you.

Today's happiness:  What is it that you do?  Do you make a meal?  Babysit a child?  Take magazines to a hospital?  The obvious truth is that it really doesn't matter what you do so long as you do it.  Thank you for making the world a better place.

No comments: