Tuesday, August 17, 2010

PLEASE do not feed LION.

Does anyone know what today was?  Well, besides just another Tuesday...Okay, no answers.  It was Francie Day!  A.K.A.  Mom's Day Out for me.  Which means that I can do whatever I want, be it work or play, without the lovely hindrance of my children.

Stop #1:  11:00 AM haircut appointment with the smashing Emily of Vocé on Clay Avenue. I highly recommend her if you are looking to look fabulous.

Stop #2:  Peruse the racks at Calypso on East Maxwell.  Score 3 Indie pieces that are all on sale.

Stop #3:  Scour vintage patterns at The Salvation Army on E. New Circle Road, but  return with--JACKPOT--2 yards of this:

"New" vintage fabric for $0.99

What am I going to make with this fabric, you ask?  To which I ask you, "Does it matter?"  I mean, which of you didn't have at least a blip of happy come across your being when you saw the balloon trio in trademark shades of the 70's?  Or surely the ice cream umbrella did it for you.

Today's happiness:  After raving about the joys of what I like to call "thrifting," I thought I should share some of my personal pointers on this underground skill:

1.  Keep hand sanitizer nearby.
2.  Have an idea of what you're looking for, or you'll get overwhelmed with all the junk.
3.  Remember that some of that junk is good stuff.  Especially if you can think outside of the box on an alternate use, or   if  you have time to refinish/repair/refurb it.
4.  Don't pay with a credit or debit card.  It lowers your credit score.  Or so my mom says, anyway.
5.  Finish the trip with said hand sanitizer (This is the worst part for me!  I still get the heeby-jeebies when I'm rifling through used stuff.  But it's produced so many good finds that I'm willing to bite the bullet on this one.)

No comments: